Monday, January 08, 2007

Jumping In...

....and hoping to avoid the frog pond. I've been knitting socks and lace shawls for years, but this will only be my second sweater. I've ordered Mission Falls 1824 in "Ink" color for the sweater. I've been swatching with a sample ball I had on hand. I did an initial swatch on US 8s and got 8.5st/2in, changed needles to US 7s and got....drumroll....8.25 to 8.5st/2in. Changed back to the 8s and got....yep 8.5/2. I think I'll calculate gauge at 8.5/2. Now, next problem. I've been reading all the posts about gauge and my cronies at Longmont Knits (our SnB) are a bit disconcerted by the large number of stitches to cast on. I think I've rationalized the large number by the take in of the pattern and the little darts at the hip, but I'm still nervous. Especially since I'm "horizontally gifted" and will have to do some number crunching for this project. Oh, and the sleeves. There will be NO half sleeves in my horizontally gifted life. ;^) I'm really hoping this yarn holds up well to the stress of the ribbit.

This looks to be a fun knit! Lots of angst, lots of calculation and lots of warm and pretty when we finish!
wooliedi

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Well the cables take up some room.

That is amazing you are on 8's - I am knitting on 3's....I thought I knit tight, but reconsidering.

I have cast on the back and up to my first decrease on row 5.

Cheers!

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Amby said...

The cables and ribbing definitely pull it in quite a bit. I'm almost finished with the back, and I can already tell (by eyeballing it, which could be dangerous) that it'll fit fine...the ribbing will allow it to expand to fit, but no more.
I'm knitting mine on #7's, and I'm ok on gauge so far (w/ KnitPicks Andean Silk).
And you're right, this is a fun knit...I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it, always a plus for such a gorgeous finished object!!!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home