Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Finished!

It's done! I used 5 skeins of Patons Merino Classic (plus a little more for the crochet edging) and size 8 straight bamboo needles. My gauge was a little tighter than called for, because I like a tighter knit. Other modification: I cast on for a size between two sizes because I was afraid that it would be too tight. Although it took a little bit of knitting math, it wasn't too bad. When it came to the arms, I cast on for the bigger size and I was very pleased with the fit of the arms, and it didn't create any problems with seaming them into the smaller sized side/back pieces.

I did knit both front pieces simultaneously, so that I wouldn't do one shorter or longer than the other (I'm pretty bad at adding/subtracting a row here and there and wanted them to be exactly the same.) I knit the sleeves the same way, two at a time.

This is the first sweater I've ever knit, (unless you count that one that was basically two stockinette rectangles seamed together on the sides and at the shoulder) and I thought the pattern was very easy to follow. Also, I really enjoyed the cabling patterns! They were easy to memorize, but never got tedious. This is the first thing I've knit that I didn't feel an overwhelming urge to "hurry up and get done," and I enjoyed every stitch.

Things I learned:
  1. Knitting the side pieces at the same time and doing the sleeves the same way was a really good idea.
  2. Patons classic merino can do a number on dry hands. Ouch!
  3. Knitting on 13" straight needles is hard when you're knitting in a crowded car.

Next time, I will:

  1. Cast on for a size much smaller than the one I knit. It came out really big (like 3 inches on each side too big).
  2. Make the torso much longer (it's a little bit on the "cropped" side, even though I'm a short-waisted gal.)
  3. Make the sleeves full-length (I wanted to do this, but got all caught up in "following the pattern" which is so not like me :)
  4. Knit on circulars instead of straights.
Thanks for the KAL! I am LOVING seeing everyone else's Nantucket Jackets!

6 Comments:

Blogger Craftyfox said...

Congratulations it looks great. It's really useful that you added your comments. I'm on the second side and love the progress so far. A brilliant achievement for your first sweater..

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous! I'm just about to finish the back in a similar color, and was debating about doing the sides at the same time - now I will!

And I agree, the pattern is easy to learn but, so far, never tedious.

I'm going to try and post a picture of my progress this week.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Jessica Mounts said...

Thanks for the compliments! Am I wierd that I'm enjoying a Kansas Cold Snap in April, just so I can wear it? ;)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Beautiful job, well done, but how does it look on you?????

I am on another trip working on both fronts at the same time. I echo your needle musings, its circular all the way for me, much easier.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Hi, I finally got mine done and likely did a similar thing, I was worried that it would be too snug around the torso, and its way too big.

What did you end up doing? Did you re-block and try and snug it in that way? Wanting to fix this desperately so I can wear it. thanks, Lori

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jessica Mounts said...

Hi, Lori. Basically... I wore it "too big" once, then I gave up. I think I'm going to give it to my sister, because it will fit her better. I always think I'm knitting something for myself to wear... but I rarely wear what I knit, with socks being the exception.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home