Sunday, June 03, 2007

FO!

That's right, I finished! I really enjoyed knitting this sweater. I was dubious about making a wool sweater with elbow-length sleeves, but after wearing it around for a bit, I've decided I like that feature. Overall, it was an enjoyable project that produced an end result I am happy with. However, I am still unsure about the yarn, Berroco Pure Merino. It's very soft, but it stretches a lot. I will have to be very careful when I wash this sweater.

Pattern: Nantucket Jacket from the Winter 2006 Interweave Knits by Nora Gaughan
Needles: US 9 Denise Interchangeables
Yarn: 13 balls of Berroco Pure Merino
Notions: 6 5/8" buttons
Size: 34" chest

Modifications to the pattern: After knitting the waist decreases as written, I knit for 2 extra inches before I did the bust increases. For the sleeves, I knit the sleeves for the next size up, to avoid them being too tight (however, I don't think this mod was necessary, since the yarn I used is so stretchy). When I crocheted the scallops on the sleeves, I did it with the RS facing and worked in rounds, instead of starting with the WS facing and turning after the first row. For the crochet on the button bands, I did the sc row in one hook size, then I went up two hook sizes for the scallop row. I also did the scallops as *sc, skip 1 st, dc/ch 1/dc/ch1/dc all in next st, skip 1 st* instead of *sc, skip 2 sts, dc/ch 1/dc/ch1/dc all in next st, skip 2 sts*. I found that this made the scallops stand out a bit better. Finally, I worked six buttonholes instead of five.

4 Comments:

Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Gorgeous job! It fits you with a bit of drape, which looks just lovely on you.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! sweater. Thanks for the modifications. I'm doing the sleeves first cause I wasn't sure where people were putting the extra 2 inches. I will do the same as you! What size did you make? did it come out big or small for you? You really can't tell from the picture it looks wonderful! Nancy camelheights at msn dot com

4:38 PM  
Blogger Gloria Quincy said...

Thanks for your comments!

Nancy, I made the smallest size. It fits me with a bit of ease (I normally make a 32-33" chest sweater, and this was a 34"). But it's comfortable with an oxford shirt on underneath.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Strumpstickan said...

Beautiful work!

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home